OFFICIAL SAN FRANCISCO WRITING CONTEST RULES:
- Your entry must be received by 5 p.m. on Friday, January 10, 2020. Use the convenient online form for efficiency. If you are mailing your entry, write “SF Writing Contest” in large print on the lower left corner of the envelope. For confirmation that your entry was received, use “delivery confirmation” at the post office, FedEx or UPS. We do not confirm receipt of entries. If we receive an entry after 5 p.m. on January 10, 2020, it will not be allowed.
- You may enter as many times as you wish, provided that the entry has not been traditionally published prior to the contest.
- The entry must be the first 1,500 words (or less) of the first chapter of a book, novella, short story, essay or other kind of writing, in the appropriate category, digitally uploaded using our online contest entry form or mailed in to our office in hard copy format, printed on one side of white paper in 12-point type. For the self-published book category, please send the first 1,500 words of the book only, not the entire book. Include a copy of the official completed entry form and $35 entry fee for each entry. Multiple entries: You can use one envelope if each entry is paper clipped together (not stapled) with a separate entry form for each entry. If the check submitted with the entries does not include the correct entry fee for all your entries, we will arbitrarily select entries from your envelope.
- Do not put your name on any page of your entry. Do put your name on the official entry form and the check if that is how you are paying.
- No employee, board member, independent contractor, or family member of the San Francisco Writers Conference may participate in this contest.
- Finalists: Announcement of the finalists will be made on the SFWC website and in the SFWC Newsletter only. Check www.SFWriters.org after February 1st for a list of finalists. This is the only place you will find out if you are a finalist. We do not call or email finalists.
- Winners: After the announcement of the winners at the San Francisco Writers Conference, the winners will be listed at www.sfwriters.org. Please do not call or email for a list of winners. Winners will be contacted and informed of their prize.
- Judges approved by the SFWC management team will select the top entries in each category. These finalists will be judged by a group of publishing industry professionals to select the grand prize winner and winners in each category. The Contest judges solely on the quality of writing and awards prizes accordingly.
Mail completed form, $35 check (per entry) and entry to:
San Francisco Writing Contest, PO Box 326, Oakley, CA 94561
or use our convenient online entry submission.
Deadline: Must Be received by 5 p.m. on January 10, 2020
Questions? Email us at [email protected]