Suzette Standring Mastering The Art of Column Writing $129
Book: The Art of Column Writing (from instructor)
Responsibility and bravery are required when you lead with the pronoun “I.” In journalism, only the column, or blog post, or serial essay features a personal viewpoint. Whether the commentary is about parenting, general life, humor, politics, or how-to, your reader must be engaged fully. Discover Pulitzer Prize winning elements of notable commentary that you can apply to your own work. Find out how to move readers to act on calls for action. Despite the changing media landscape, column writing is not dead. New media will always demand compelling opinions, entertaining viewpoints, new voices, and powerful stories.
This workshop will help you to:
- Discern the emotional heart of a story, and convey it to readers.
- Create a compelling message in 500 words or less.
- Become a go-to resource if you have a strong interest in a particular subject, but may not be an expert.
- Idea generation, overcoming writer’s block
- Become aware of how language and word usage are used to persuade.
- Address the common doubt, “I’m not like other writers” and discover ways to parlay your originality into marketable and unique columns, essays, or blog posts.
No matter what your subject interest is, there are special skills involved to create a powerful message in 500 words or less. This session is for:
- Aspiring or new writers to the column, blog post or serial essay format. They will find this class both informative and inspiring.
- Seasoned writers who are curious as to the writing strategies used by award winning columnists and how such approaches account for career longevity. Attendees will gain practical insights.
- Anyone who wants to benefit from concise writing skills will learn ways to make a shorter message more powerful.
Be brave with me. It’s scary to stand butt naked and unbathed (in print only!) but readers do applaud vulnerability and facts, and will long remember what you wrote.
***includes Suzette’s book The Art of Column Writing.